Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 13-07-2010, 05:17   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default "Puppy Fat" & Coat Length Questions

Hi all,
I have a couple of questions about vlcak puppy development... first, I have noticed that vlcak puppies seem to have less body fat than other puppies of the same age. No matter what they eat, it seems to translate into muscle and bone, no "roly poly puppy fat." Is this typical of the breed?
Also, I see a big difference between Luna and Pollux's coats. Luna has a "plush" coat, whereas I would call Pollux's a "harder" coat. To me, their coat texture/length differences are exactly what I have seen in my other breeds - Malinois and German Shepherds - the "plush" dogs carry a longcoat gene and the hard coated ones do not. Is this the case? Is it normal variation? Or one that is correct over the other?
Thanks in advance for your guidance and information...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 07:02   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hi,

you are right, the puppys always seem to be skinny, especially in times of rapid growing. In many it stays like this - and should stay - till they are around 2-3 years and fully grown. It is better for the bones and joints, so I never worried.
The harsher coat is the similar one to wolf puppies, if the plushier one makes longer fur I don´t know, the very few lightly plushy two puppies we got developed normal coat length. But European wolf puppies are never plushy but always very skinny.

Regards
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 07:11   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

A well-built, healthy young vlcak should be fed well (i.e. given quality food) but look (too!) thin. Only then at the age of 2-3 will he/she reach the optimal weight and looks. It's also vital for good HD/ED results not to overload the joints. Regular 'rib test' to check if the pup is developing well seems a good idea.

Though I agree that it's sometimes hard to listen to all those comments about walking a poor, underfed pup, shackal, fox, etc. etc.

PS. I doubled your post Ina, sorry

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 07:24   #4
Gypsy Wolf

Whew! OK! I have raised German Shepherd, Malinois, Finnish Spitz puppies and they all seemed to have some "puppy fat" as youngsters that the vlcaks seem to lack.
Luna's plush coat masks her thinness, but Pollux's coat is close and you see ribs, muscle, even the top of the pelvis. But he is HARD all over. SOLID and HEAVY. MUCH heavier than he looks.
I agree - with large breeds, lighter is better. The GSD lines I breed on tend toward leanness until they are mature. The first litter I bred is about 18 months and I have to reassure their owners that no, it's OK they are thin. They will even "self-limit" when eating - consuming no more than 2 cups in volume at a time. It's actually something I LIKE in my dogs - less worry of bloat/gastric torsion! And their joints develop beautifully... They tend to have plusher coats, too, though, so they do not look scrawny... there's someone who posts on this list (I will have to find out who) that has a picture of their vlcak and the coat is exactly like Pollux's...
Old 13-07-2010, 08:50   #5
michaelundinaeichhorn

You can find here
http://www.twhclub.de/wbb2/thread.ph...tuser=0&page=3
some pictures of some of the wolves we raised for a wildlife-park.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 10:24   #6
Blitzen

I always find it amazing how much like wolves/wolfcubs the CSV looks!

Lunas mom, do you have up to date pics of Pollux and Luna? I would be interested to see the difference in the coats as I haven't noticed this among CSV (I am relatively new to them, and haven't seen one in the flesh yet - being in the UK that is a little difficult!)
Blitzen jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:35   #7
Gypsy Wolf

Yes - there are some posted on my Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/saradonadei
Go to the photos section.
Luna has a plush coat, whereas Pollux's is a "close" coat - Nebulosa on this forum has a picture below the signatur line of a CsV in profile laying down, chin on paws - Pollux has that coat.
Luna's is more "fluffy" with a full "collarette" and pointy cheek fur and her tail and "pants" are bushier.